Danielle Collins lists out 5 exercises to tone your tummy which can be done at home.
We Indians have this problem of a protruding tummy even if we are slim otherwise. It has to do with the way we eat and our lack of exercise. Most people think they need to join expensive gyms and do 100 crunches everyday (read why just crunches don’t work) to get those celeb-like flat abs. But the truth is it is just about eating the right food, doing some belly-busting yoga poses and trying these simple exercises. Calculate how much weight you can lose in a month here.
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat. Bring the hands behind the back of the neck, lift and twist the upper body to one side and bring your elbow towards the opposite knee.
- Inhale, lower back down.
- Exhale, lift and twist towards the other side, inhale return to starting position.
- Keep this movement going and you can start to speed it up a little bit once you get comfortable with the exercise.
- Then, start to extend one leg out as you go.
- Keep pulling the lower tummy muscles up and breathe deeply.
- To advance it further, you can start to tap the heel of the extended leg on to the floor.
This will work the lower tummy muscles even more therefore giving support and strength to the lower back. Aim for doing it for 30 seconds in one go.
- Lie down on your tummy and then come on your palms and toes.
- Lift the knees off the floor.
- Draw your tummy muscles up and breathe deeply into the side and back of the rib cage. Aim to hold the pose for 30 seconds.
This classic Pilates exercise defines the tummy muscles and promotes a strong and healthy back.
- Bring the legs in to a table top position, hip-width apart.
- Lift the arms up off the floor and lift the head, neck and chest upwards, being careful not to strain the neck but taking the strain to the tummy. Start to pulse the arms up and down.
- If you would like to advance the pose, extend the legs up towards the sky.
- Keep the tummy muscles taught and aim to continue for 50 seconds.
Static Tiger Pose
- Place your hands and knees on the floor. This is the starting position.
- Now lift up one leg and extend the opposite arm. Hold this Static Tiger Pose for 3 deep breaths.
- Come back to the starting position and swap sides, extending arm and opposite leg.
- You can look down towards the mat to keep the spine in line. This exercise will build core strength.
Sitting Spinal Twist
- Sit on the floor and cross your legs.
- Place one hand next to your hip and the other on the knee.
- Rotate the spine and look over one shoulder into a Sitting Spinal Twist.
- Inhale. Exhale back to centre.
- Swap sides, rotating and looking over the shoulder. Inhale. Exhale back to centre.
This pose will trim and define the waist.
original post found here: http://www.thehealthsite.com/fitness/exercises-for-a-flat-tummy/