There’s this never ending debate about carbohydrates and whether or not it should be included in your diet. Some people say yes because it’s good for muscle building and energy, others say no since it results in a lot of excess stored fat. So what do you think, are carbs evil?
If you’re trying to decide whether or not to go-carb or no-carb then here are a few things you should take into consideration. Like everything, carbs do have their place in people’s diets as well as pros and cons…
- Carbohydrates in your diet can help prevent the onset of many internal sicknesses like heart disease, kidney disease and liver disease as well as helps your body cleanse and regulate the system.
- It helps to regulate your cholesterol, keeping the bad cholesterol down and the good one up.
- You’re taking in greater amounts of Vitamen A, C, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Carotene and Foliate with a loaf of bread than say a bowl of fruits.
- Carbohydrates provide you with sufficient amounts of energy throughout the day and some even experience an increase in their metabolism.
- When coupled with exercise, carbohydrates help build more defined muscle mass.
- Eating complex carbohydrates makes you feel fuller thus experiencing little to no hunger pangs during the day.
- Eating the wrong kinds of carbohydrates can result in weight gain, especially if you don’t have an active lifestyle. The unused energy you consumed will then turn into stored excess fat.
- The intake of too much carbs like sugar can cause your glucose level in the blood to rise.
- Carbohydrates have a tendency to make you sleepy (in essence all that “energy” you just consumed needs a nap before it starts to work for you).
- Cutting them out can help you lose weight fast, but once you introduce them back into your diet you may experience a more rapid weight gain.
- Simple carbohydrates only provide you with a quick burst of energy, but once it runs out your body’s energy levels will crash.
- Carbohydrates have been linked to an increase risk of Type II Diabetes.
These are just a few of the pros and cons of carbohydrates, but as you can see the list is pretty balanced. So if you’re still wondering whether or not you should consume carbohydrates then let this list be your guide. Have a well balanced diet of complex carbohydrates and good exercise and you’ll be able to have your cake and eat it too, literally.